Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Left over....

Can someone explain to me why military wife's use other military wife's as left over friends? We had a combined battalion meeting and I was looking for a seat in a very small, hot, and smelly room, and this wife came up to me and started chatting.......and I brushed it off. The funny thing about this encounter is.....this wife sees me once a month and says no more then two word to me at a time, and now she wanted to chat because she counter-apart was missing? I'm not really fond for being a left over friend when your "other" friends left you by yourself. I feel that if you want to build a friendship then you should make the time when others are around and when they are not. But how likes left overs anyhow.....

1 comment:

Booklady said...

I sometimes think that military spouses form transitional friendships. You are thrown together in similar situations and form bonds - sometimes quickly and sometimes not so quickly. The transitory nature of our lives sometimes makes it hard to maintain those friendships. Over the last 16 years I've met some of the people I most admire because I'm an army wife - only to lose contact as soon one of us moves. I think that's what makes it harder for me to make friends - and maybe that's what happened with the situation you are talking about. Maybe it's not that this person saw you as a left over friend - maybe it's just that previously she had been hesitant. But, if she is of the "leftover" type and is only friendly to you because her usual counterpart was not there - then that is her loss. She missed a chance to make a good friend. And that's a shame.